OUR MISSION

OUR MISSION - WE'RE PUBLISHED! Wednesday, June 26th, 2013 marked the Premier of our new book, Happy Hour in the High Peaks: An Adirondack Bar Guide. The hardcover, 160 page book can be found at bars and bookstores throughout the Adirondack Park or order online at www.happyhourinthehighpeaks.com. You'll find a list of our book signings on the Events page and where to buy the book on our Retailers page. The book contains reviews of 46 of our favorite bars in the Adirondack Park, and 46 drink recipes with an Adirondack twist. As a companion to the book, we have also published a 46er Passport so that you can follow the Happy Hour Trail to become a Happy Hour 46er and make new friends along the way. Summit Tour t-shirts will be for sale at our book signings or available online. Whether you are a native, resident, or visitor, you'll find 46 more reasons to visit the ADIRONDACK PARK!

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

National Margarita Day and Blogoff! Kim's Version.

My decrepit old Chrysler (named Betty White) and I climbed Harrington Hill, the radiator straining and fuming as we approached the Happy Hour in the High Peaks laboratory. Warned not to be an overachiever, I guiltily hauled my beaker of homemade cranberry juice, fresh citrus fruit, and bunsen burner to the rathskeller that is Pammy's Pub.

I used frozen cranberries to make my homemade juice, though I was disappointed by the medicinal smell wafting in steamy wisps from the pot as the mixture of berries and water began to simmer.

I allowed the berries to cook for ten minutes, gently squishing them into a lovely pulp. I added about 3/4 cup of sugar and simmered until the sugar dissolved, then strained the liquid into a mason jar.


Even with added sugar the medicine taste was evident, but I hoped the addition of other ingredients would mask the flavor. I had worked so hard.


When I got to Pammy's I quickly got to work squeezing oranges, limes and lemons for the two margaritas I would be creating, orange-cranberry and lemon-raspberry, taking photos at intervals throughout the process.

Orange-Cranberry Margarita

2 oz. orange juice
1 oz. cranberry juice
2 oz. tequila
1 oz. triple sec
1 packet sour mix

Mix ingredients in a blender or other such device with 5 or 6 ice cubes. I used coarse sugar for the rim and garnished with orange and lime slices. (No trace of medicinal flavor.)





Lemon-Raspberry Margarita

2 oz. lemon juice
1 oz. lime juice
2 oz. tequila
1 oz. triple sec
1 packet sour mix
1/4 c. raspberries (fresh or frozen)
1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar (this margarita is far more tart than the first)

Mix in a blender with 5 or 6 ice cubes. I used salt for the rim this time and garnished with raspberries and lemon, orange and lime wedges dredged in sugar.


Both were quite good and were as Margarita as any traditional one I have tasted. I had the pleasure of entertaining Pam's husband, Bob (also security guard at Pammy's Pub), who seemed to enjoy the company and was a willing and enthusiastic participant.

HHHP Stat of the Day: We passed our 10,000th view today!


Cheers!
Kim

2 comments: